Sunday, October 11, 2009

Vegetable Soup with Sweet Basil

Ok, I have to say this might be my first recipe where I actually cooked. Never in my life have I peeled a tomato, much less seeded one! So it's safe to say, there was a learning curve involved...

It all began with a couple of dilemmas on the soup aisle at the grocery store. Where is the chicken stock? There is the beef stock... next to the chicken broth. Is that the same? I was running low on patience, so it would have to do. Then... The recipe calls for 2 quarts of chicken stock, but all of these containers are in
ounces. Who knows how many ounces are in a quart?! I'm sure Martha does (I have a long way to go). Thanks to my handy-dandy iPhone and the oh-so-helpful Google calculator, now I do too. One quart equals 32 ounces just in case you didn't know.

Once I got home and started peeling and chopping, I regained some of my confidence the grocery store outing had taken away.


That is until I clogged the garbage disposal. Yep. Note: It's probably best not to try to dispose of potato peels, carrot skins, celery skin, onion skin, and zucchini ends all at once in your boyfriend's garbage disposal. The results aren't pretty! (Sorry, Brayden.)

As soon as the vegetables were simmering in the chicken broth, I moved to the tomato-basil-garlic puree. This was particularly exciting because I got to use my Cuisinart food processor! Which, until now, has been used to make hummus and salsa... and hummus... and salsa (you get the idea).



All in all I think the soup turned out pretty good. I would actually use the word 'savory' to describe the flavor.

If you want to give it a try, here's the recipe. I didn't use any canned veggies, only fresh. In fact, the tomatoes even came from our own tomato plants!



Ingredients
2 small leeks, white part only
1 large potato, peeled
1 small onion
2 stalks celery
1 medium zucchini
12 green beans
2 medium carrots, peeled
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons water
2 quarts chicken stock (or 2 qts water, 4 bouillion cubes, a pinch of thyme, and 1/2 bay leaf OR you can use vegetable broth for a vegetarian option)
4 to 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
4 medium garlic cloves
30 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A few drops of Tabasco sauce

Method

Cut the leeks, potato, onion, celery, zucchini, green beans, and carrots into 1/4 inch diced cubes.

In a 6-quart stockpot, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the water. Add the vegetables and sauté over medium-low heat until all the water evaporates. Do not brown the vegetables.

Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook at a gentle boil for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, put the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Pulse until pureed.

Stir the puree into the cooked soup. Do not let the soup return to a boil. Season, to taste, with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of Tabasco. Serve the soup hot or cold from a tureen or in individual bowls.

Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. The soup is great!!! Kenz liked it too! Thanks for letting us be taste testers :-)

    ReplyDelete