Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wendy’s Style Chili

Maybe the changing seasons inspired my craving for chili. Crisp, cool air in Georgia? Yes, please. And maybe, my mother being out of town (and therefore unavailable to cook it for me), necessitated me actually preparing the chili myself. So after I scoured the internet for the "Best Chili Recipe Ever" (read: a 2-minute google search) and a quick visit to Kroger, I was ready to get started.

The irony of this recipe name does not escape me. I'm still "easing" into this whole cooking thing, so modeling a recipe after a fast food product seems sensible enough. Less daunting with minimal room for error, no?

Honestly, this recipe didn't involve a lot of cooking. Once I got going, I was basically done. I chopped an onion. I chopped a green bell pepper. I browned the ground chuck. The rest of the work mainly consisted of operating a hand-held can opener. But, man, was I good at that!

The chili turned out great! So far Brayden's been my only other taste tester. And he says it's good too :) I forced some on Brittany, so we'll have to see what she says.




Ingredients:

1 Onion, chopped

1 Bell Pepper, chopped

1 (14 oz.) can Stewed Tomatoes

4 (8 oz.) cans Tomato Sauce

1 (14 oz.) can Ranch Style Beans

1 (14 oz.) can Pinto Beans

1 (14 oz.) can Kidney Bean

1 (10 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes

1 (1 1/4 oz.) package McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning (get Medium or Hot to add an extra kick)

2 lbs. Ground Chuck

Directions:

In a large pot brown the ground chuck. Then add all remaining items, including their juice, into the pot. Cook until onion and pepper are tender.

Modifications:

The first taste was a little mild for my tastes, so I added a second package of the McCormick chili seasoning. We added sharp cheddar on top and some white corn tortilla chips for a little crunch.

2 comments:

  1. Good choice for the weather. Who knows, you may need to make ice cream tomorrow. Gotta love Georgia weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey can you make some more? Esp with snow in the forecast!

    ReplyDelete