Monday, January 4, 2010

Pumpkin Squares

This Christmas, I traveled with Brayden to Pleasant View, Utah to celebrate the holiday with his family. The entire visit consisted of eating, more eating, and then eating some more. I basically participated in this 3-day food fest as an eater only. But on Christmas Day, as time for dinner quickly approached, Brayden's mother grabbed me into the kitchen and said "can you make this? here's the recipe!" As Brayden and his sister, Brittney, giggled on the sidelines, I cheered myself on mentally "Here is the recipe, a simple recipe!" And then not so mentally, "I can do this!," (not really meaning to say it out loud). My optimistic exclamation only fueled Brayden and Britt's laughter that much more :)

I'm happy to report, I successfully followed the recipe without too many hiccups. I mean, once I assured Brayden's mother the recipe called for 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice (not tablespoons) and we realized the oven had been inadvertently turned off... we were cooking! (Pun intended.)





Ingredients
1 15 oz. Can of pumpkin
1 12 oz. can of condensed milk
3 eggs
2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 package yellow cake mix
1 stick butter

Directions
Using a hand mixer, combine pumpkin, condensed milk, eggs, pumpkin spice, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl. Pour mixture into 11x13 pan. Sprinkle yellow cake mix on top (should cover completely). Slice butter and distribute in an even layer on cake mix. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.

We served it warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream. For a girl who won't touch pumpkin pie, even I have to say it was quite yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment